Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mushroom Soup

Easy Mushroom Soup

Here's my version of a fantastic soup recipe from Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook. It's preposterously easy, but fantastic.
Easy Mushroom Soup
Ingredients:
  • 1 onion
  • 10 oz Mushrooms
  • 6 tbs butter
  • 4 cups chicken stock (home-made is much better, but don't let that stop you)
Technique:
  1. Saute onions in 2 tbs butter for 5 minutes or so. The soup will be prettier if you don't let the onions brown, but I like caramelized onions too much to let that stop me.
  2. Add the rest of the butter and the cleaned mushrooms and saute for another 5 minutes or so.
  3. Add stock and simmer for 1 hour
  4. Blend soup. I love an immersion blender for this.
That's it. Try it. I suspect that you could cut a half hour of the simmering time by covering the mushrooms after step 2 and simmering on low until the mushrooms have released most of their juice (10 min?). Then add the stock. I haven't tried it, but that's my favorite trick for making stock and it'd probably work here.

Oh yeah, and get Bourdain's book. His technique is more restaurant focussed, but he's such a bad-ass that it is totally worth reading even if you aren't going to cook anything from it.

No comments: